Saturday 13 December 2014

5 Decorating Mantras ...

I recently came across this Pin that had 5 decorating mantras to live by and thought they were so great I would share. I can actually relate to each of them...

1) The closer something is to your body the better it should be...
Toast Bedding

I am sure I am not alone in giving into those £12 Ikea double bedsheets and pillow sets, I mean they are a bargain...... But about a year ago I brought myself some really, really nice Cotton Pillow cases from Toast and have decided to slowly replace my cheap bedding for soft natural fibers. They feel so much better on my skin....


2) Surround yourself with quality, not clutter
Surround yourself with quality not clutter

I have a terrible habit of seeing something I like, finding it is a little bit out of my budget and then buying a cheaper version instead. Inevitably the cheaper option is not quite right and then spend ages wishing I had just saved up for the original in the first place.



3) Every room needs something Living

House plants are not only beautiful but they are calming. Whether its a beautiful hanging plant or a small cacti, a room does feel so much better with a little life in it


4) Honor the acts of daily living. If it's a habit, make it beautiful
If it's a habit make it beautiful

My morning ritual (whether it is 5 am or 7 am that Alex wakes me), always involves a cup of tea, I really cant function without a good cuppa. I am slowly replacing all my old mugs that I brought from necessity with hand made instead.


5) Life should sparkle. Every House needs Bling


Bling to me is a bit of Brass or a beautiful terrarium or any object that is a luxury. I have recently invested in a beautiful art deco star lamp for my hallway. I have wanted one since I was a little girl!!


What decorating mantras do you guys live by?

8 comments:

Rebecca said...

My brain is a little fried at the moment, so can't come up with an additional mantra - but just wanted to say I was inspired by/agree with the first four of yours especially!

Lauren said...

Don't worry about it matching. If something reflects your personality and brings you joy then it will find its place in your home.

Moon to Moon said...

Thank You Rebecca. My brain is a bit fried as well, but for me it is nothing new :)

Thank you Lauren! I totally agree. I think your one may be better than the 5 combined xx

Unknown said...

very important to remember, each one of them! And Lauren addiction is fundamental to...but sometime its hard to stick with them!

Fiona said...

The old Willuam Morris one about not having anything in your house that isn't either useful or beautiful is still a good rule - and encompasses the ones abiut having quality rather than quantity ( SO true) as well as the additional one about things that you really love finding a space. You got me back into houseplants, which I hadn't bothered with for years xx

Mamaholt said...

I think having a bit of something from your childhood is always sweet and comforting. I have a little postcard that my mom had hanging up in her kitchen. It's lovely to have it in my own kitchen now.

Meg said...

What a sweet treasure. I love this. Agree!

Jules said...

Kind of what Lauren said -- but a sniffy decorator once told me that if you love it, it will work with everything else you have, even if it's a mismatch of styles. So true.